The Ultimate Guide to obtain Spanish NIE Number

spanish nie number

In this article, I’m going to explain everything I know about the Spanish NIE number, but just several questions before we start:

Or perhaps you would like to know more about:

The 2023 definitive Spain visa guide and types of Spanish visas for non-European Union citizens

Non-lucrative Spanish visa for Non-EU citizens

Spanish residency for non-EU citizens married/family members of EU citizens

Are you ready to become a citizen of Spain? Please read my article Spanish citizenship


Before we start… Yours Free

Spain 101 is a free ebook full of unique tips that will save you thousands of Euros when moving to / living in Spain.

Would you like to get it now?

Please click / tap on the image below:


NOTE: Article updated on 26 January 2023

What is a Spanish NIE Number?

The NIE number is an identification number for foreigners (Número de Identificación de Extranjero in Spanish) who do not have the status of Spanish citizens.

The official website of the Spanish Ministry of the Interior describes the NIE number as follows:

Foreigners that, for their economic, social or professional interests, become associated to Spain, will be given, for identification purposes, a personal exclusive number unique to the individual.

Including the following meaningful paragraph:

The NIE number will be the identifier of foreign people, which must appear on all documents issued or processed on them, as well as the measures which are affixed in their passport or identity card.

In my own words, it is just an identification number that will be assigned to you for legal purposes; of course, only in case you are not a Spanish citizen.

Spanish citizens use a number called “Documento Nacional de Identidad – DNI” (National Identity Document).


spanish dni

(Spanish DNI looks like this)


Where do I get an NIE Number?

There are two places where you can obtain a Spanish NIE number:

  • Spanish National Police stations properly assigned to issue NIE numbers. This clearly means that not every single National Police station will offer this service (check out your nearest one).
  • Spanish embassy located in your country.

The Spanish NIE number must be requested:

  • In person.
  • Through a legal authorised person (power of attorney).

If you are going to request your NIE number in Spain make sure first you find out how they do it. Call or go in person to that particular National Police office, they may have queue system, appointment on the phone, or in-person book in.

spanish national police badge

(Immigration documents is managed by the Spanish National Police)


Ask first

Did you read my article about the Spanish Padron? I did try to emphasise that Spain is not the most centralised country on the planet.

That’s why you should ask first what you need at your corresponding National Police station, or get in touch with a specialist (me, for instance, of course 😉 )

In some stations you will need some extras that you won’t in other places (ask first, that’s the key, I can’t stop repeating)

So, in this article I will be honest with you and I will not give you misleading information.


Some requirements

For sure, you will need a EX-15 form.

Original passport + 1 photocopy.

2 small photos taken in Spain.

Depending on the police station you may need to proof where you live legally (Padrón).

Or you may have to provide documents to support why you need a Spanish NIE number (this is usually for non-EU citizens of certain countries, other counties non-EU countries cannot apply for the NIE, as they have to go through the residency process).

There is a fee (it changes almost every year) that must be paid at the bank through an official document called 790 form.

Again, I would like to remind you that Spain varies a lot from one town to another. Requirements can change even if it’s a national document, as the NIE number in Spain.

Ignore those websites that say you need this and that. They might be good for an initial research, but not as the final reliable information towards applying for a NIE number.

Solution: ask first.

Go to the nearest National Police station dealing with immigration documentation and find out.

How can anybody know how they do it in every single office all over Spain? That is literally impossible, unless they’ve already done NIE’s for people located in every single point of Spain.

I really doubt there is a company in Spain that has helped people in a third of Spanish cities anyway. I have not been able to do so, even though I’ve been in business with Torrevieja Translation since 2010.


what is a nie number

(Requirements are different for EU and non-EU citizens)


How can I use my Spanish NIE number?

Obtaining a NIE number in Spain is a must for the following legal procedures / activities in Spain:

  • Pay tax non-resident tax
  • Get employed
  • Register a business
  • Buy / sell a car
  • Buy / sell properties
  • Other legal economic activities

I’m sure I’m missing lots more. You will find out as you spend more time in Spain.

Spanish NIE number

(Your NIE number will look similar to this example)

Note: you cannot exchange your EU and British driving licence for a Spanish driving licence on an NIE number.

You must have Spanish residency instead.


Some clarifications

  • The Spanish NIE number expires in 3 months in theory (it says so at the bottom of the certificate, see picture above. UPDATE 1/9/2016: At least in Alicante region the NIE number certificate does not have an expiry date anymore). Find out whether it’s this way in your region.
  • Many places will request an in-force NIE number (if yours has an expiry date, you should get a new one for many procedures).
  • The Spanish NIE number on its own is not valid to identify yourself. Use it alongside your passport which has a photo of you.
  • NIE number and Spanish residency are different procedures, different documents and have different natures. Don’t confuse them.
  • You do not have to follow this sequence (unless you need to do any legal process): NIE first, Spanish residency second. You can become a resident automatically as long as you meet all the requirements.
  • If you apply for your Spanish residency, you will get a Spanish NIE number automatically which will appear on the residency car, either if you had it before or not. It will be the same one in case of yes.
  • You can’t exchange your driving licence and get a Spanish driving licence with an NIE number only. You’ll need your Spanish residency.
  • If you are looking for a job you will have to register at your nearest Social Security office to obtain a social security number after you get your NIE. That will be what will grant health benefits (and pensions) once you get employed.
  • The NIE number certificate is generally printed out straight away and given to you, on the application day. It could change a bit in other regions of Spain, but I don’t think it would vary much.
  • Having the NIE number beforehand will not help (nor harm) if you are applying for a visa.


Yours Free

Spain 101 is a free ebook full of unique tips that will save you thousands of Euros when moving to / living in Spain.

Would you like to get it now?

Please click / tap on the image below:


Coverage areas

Alicante Province

Costa Blanca: These are my usual in-person coverage areas in Costa Blanca Spain,  Altea,  Calpe, Orihuela Costa,  Benissa, Guadalest,  GuardamarJaveaMorairaAlicante, La Marina, DeniaVillajoyosa, Pilar de la Horadada, Benidorm, El Campello, Santa Pola, and, of course, Torrevieja; as well as other towns near Alicante.

Inland Alicante province: OrihuelaElche, Pinoso, Almoradi, Alcoy, Orba, Rojales, Biar, Crevillente, Los Montesinos, San Miguel de Salinas, Benijofar, Algorfa.

Murcia Province

Costa Cálida: including Costa Calida SpainSan Pedro del PinatarLos Alcazares, Santiago de la  Rivera, Mar Menor , San JavierMazarronAguilas.

Cities and towns in Murcia province: 

CartagenaYecla, Sucina, Totana, Alhama, Molina de Segura, Fortuna, Murcia city.

Other areas in Spain

I have collaborators almost everywhere all over Spain, so no worries, I can assist you anywhere you are in Spain, in cities such as: Zaragoza, Vitoria, Bilbao, Albacete, Almería, Logroño, Avila, Badajoz, Caceres, Majorca, Zamora, Barcelona, Burgos, Oviedo, Cadiz, Santander, Castellon, Pontevedra, Ciudad Real, Cordoba, Cuenca, Gerona, Granada, Guadalajara, San Sebastian, Huelva, Huesca, Jaen, Navarra, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gijon, Leon, Lleida, Lugo, Madrid, Malaga, Orense, Palencia, Salamanca, Segovia, Sevilla, Soria, Tarragona, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Teruel, Toledo, Valencia, Valladolid.

Credit Image: Daniel V., Mathrong, Firma Electrónica


  1. Paul says

    Hi David,
    You say “Many places will request an in-force NIE number (less than 3 months).” How would I go about renewing my NIE? Do I take my expired document to the same police station I got it from? Will I need to fill out any forms to renew it? Will I have to pay the fee again?
    Many thanks for another interesting and informative article.

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Paul,

      Renewing the NIE number is not a big deal. Just tell them you need a “duplicate” (“duplicado” in Spanish). No need to take the old one. And, yes, you have to pay another fee, although less than it is for a new one.

      You will need at least the following 3 things:

      1. Original passport + 1 photocopy
      2. Form EX15 I mention in the article properly filled out in Spanish.
      3. Form 790 for the bank fee. It is 6,96€ for duplicates (2014 fee).

      You might need one or two small photographs.

      I just remembered I have done a few NIE and Spanish residencies in areas where I don’t go much. They had their own bank office inside. Basically, it’s just a person from the bank that works there every single day.

      In this case you don’t need to pay beforehand, but you can, as I did it, thinking it was the way I usually do it.

      That’s why it’s very important trying to find out first… each place is a different world in Spain.

      All the best Paul,


  2. Julia says

    Hi David,

    Do I need a full copy (all pages) of my passport for the NIE number or just the one with my photo on it?


    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Julia,

      Just the one with the photo on it will be enough if you are from the EU.

      All the best :-)


  3. Ann says

    Do you know some “good” police station near to Barcelona where can I re-new my Nie or make dublicato? becouse in Barcelona they want too much documents and too much time to do it.. so.. I want to go to another city.. advise me please!

  4. Ann says

    thank u Davie, but the problem not to find ANY police station, the problem to find the RIGHT one where they donk ask me a lot of paper just to make a dublicado of NIE.. I know the mind police station.. but its very complicated.. and I know some GOOD one in the south near ALicante.. but the problem it to travle to far… so.. thats why I asking here.. but its ok.. I will continue looking for.. maybe the fortune will smile to me. hehee…

    • David Ruiz says

      I see :-)

      You’re right, things change from one place to another, although in theory they should be the same when talking about “national” procedures, like the NIE number.

      Well, I hope there is a good one your area.

      All the best.

  5. Barat says

    i am indian person i have 5 years 2 card MADRID spain last year 19 apr 2015 this card renew date but 15 apr 2015 i came india because my mother death after i must try but not possible yu help som please how to renew now and again work spain

    • David Ruiz says

      Sorry, I’m not experienced in non-EU residencies :-(

      All the best Barat

  6. Pablo says

    So I am here on Gran Canaria, Vecindario.
    I arrived here September 2015. I got my NIE in November 2015, No photographs are required here. Then in May 2016 My partner and I both applied for our residency here, the small green credit card size card. My partner received her NIE as part of this application. Again no photographs were required. All this was done at our Guardia Civil station. We speak no Spanish, they did speak English with us, but did give us a lecture about the need for us to learn Spanish, as they would not expect people to speak Spanish for them should they visit England. A fair point. They also told us that we must update our residency card within 1 month of change our address here in Gran Canaria.

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Pablo,

      Thanks for letting us know your experience in Gran Canaria.

      It sounds weird the Guardia Civil deals with NIE numbers and Residencies there, as foreign documentation is not part of their internal structure, but National Police ( However, I don’t know who things work in Gran Canaria.

      In this area, not bringing the photograph only means one thing: go and get one :-) Regarding speaking Spanish, you don’t really need to here when you apply for any of these documents, as long as you bring everything the right way. Otherwise, there might be someone around who speaks a few words, or not.

      Best wishes

  7. Janey says

    Hello David
    So glad I’ve come across your website! We’re very confused about where to renew our NIEs.
    We’ve lived in Spain now for nearly 5 years and my husband’s read somewhere that you need to renew them after this time.
    They have an Oficina de Extranjeros in Seville (we live in the province) but you need a cita previa and probably have to give up half a day. Others tell us our local police station might do this but it’s not a National one. I’ve tried ringing both…but you know what it’s like!
    Also we’re unsure of what to take. Is this a document which needs you to prove you can support yourselves?

    Any advice gratefully received,
    Thanks Janey.

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Janey,

      One question. Are we talking about NIE number or Spanish residency? I have the impression you mean Spanish residency (A4 green sheet or green small card with no photo).

      If you meant Spanish Residency, I explain the whole process here:

      Anyway, I really doubt the local police will process your NIE numbers or Spanish residencies (foreign documentation in Spain is National Police, have a look here please

      Half a day at the police station? That sounds a lot, it should not be more than a few hours, having an appointment of course :-)

      All the best

  8. Richard Berry says

    Hi David,
    We bought our apartment in Sitges Cataunya in 2011 and obviously had a NIE certificate done at the time for this purpose. We are now selling the property and as the originals are long lost we need to get a duplicate. The nearest office to do them is Vilanova. Do you know of any local requirements for that office and if we filled the application in advance, do you think they will help us though the process with our limited English or are they usually very harsh at only speaking Catalan? If it would be problematic, do you have any local links with a translator who we could possibly use to help us at a reasonable price?

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Richard,

      Unfortunately, I don’t know anybody in that area that could help you out, or the requirements for that office. It should be a straight forward process if you take all the requirements with you.

      I hope this helps.

  9. Jane says

    Hi, I’m a student in Marbella. Been here for a month. I have an n.i.e number on my 3 month visa. When I’m I supposed to apply for the n.i.e card itself?

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Jane,

      Well, I believe that will depend on the type of visa. Best way to find out is by going in person to your nearest “oficina de extranjería”.

      I hope this helps.

  10. Michelle Miller says

    Hi David,

    Do I need to be present in order to get s duplicate nie number? I live overseas. Are there agencies that do it for you ? Thanks,


    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Michelle,

      At the Spanish embassy, consulate or any agencies that offer the service :-)

      Best wishes

  11. Melisa says

    What is the deadline for applying for the NIE? I arrived on a student visa that expires soon and my university says that i have to leave the country and come back with a new visa?
    I would really just want to know my options before i combust into a ball of panick.

    Thank You

    • David Ruiz says

      Hola Melisa,

      I’m not sure what kind dealine window your visa would have, but what I would do is going to the nearest foreigners office to find out.

      I hope this helps :-)

  12. Paul says

    Hi there,

    I’m Belgian and I’ve been in Spain for 4 years – and sometimes I had to go back to Belgium for family reasons. Now the thing is: I’m incredibly bad with administration. I have never ever renewed my NIE and all I got is this lousy A4 paper that hasn’t been valid for… well, almost 4 years.

    I’m moving to another province soon and would like to finally take care of this. I’ve been working legally here the whole time. So after I get my new ‘padron’, I’d go and deal with the NIE once and for all. But.. I’m a bit afraid: Could I be, or get, in trouble?


    • David Ruiz says

      Hi there Paul,

      The white A4 NIE number certificate used to expire after 3 months, but that does not mean you’ll get in trouble if you don’t renew it. Just go ahead and apply for a new one. Here in Alicante there is no expiry date anymore, so it might be the same everywhere all over Spain.

      I hope this helps.

  13. Michal says

    Hi David.
    I do have a question regarding NIE application, and it’s the address in particular. Can I ask for NIE if I haven’t rented a proper place yet? I have a pre-agreement for an employment but doubt that I would find a house before I start (lack of time). I would like to register for NIE as soon as I enter Spain so I get my number before I start working. May I to this purpose use on the application form an address where I will be temporarily staying (friend’s s house, hotel) till I find my house? Or alternatively, what would you recommend here?
    Thanks very much.

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Michal,

      My recommendation is that you apply for the NIE number using the address where you live at the moment in Spain.

      I hope this helps.

  14. Zsuzsanna Bossányi says

    Hola David!

    Thank you for your guide how to get the NIE .
    I have just arrived to Gran Canaria and i would like to get a job soon.
    My question is do i have to have an address here to get my NIE number? In ohter articels i have seen it as necessary.Can i do something if i dont have an address yet?
    Thank you in advence

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Suzanna,

      In theory, you should have an address at the location where you’ll apply for the NIE number. However, I don’t know if there is any other way to do it otherwise.

      I hope this helps.

  15. Terry Jacobs says

    I have got my NIE which the certificate expired after 3 months. I have since married do i need to apply for a new NIE number?

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi there Terry,

      This is like an expired driving licence. As long as you don’t drive, you can keep it expired forever :-)

      In other words, if need to use the NIE number certificate for a legal matter, they you’ll probably be requried to get a new fresh one. Otherwise, I don’t see the point at renewing it.

      I hope this helps.

  16. Adam says

    Hi David,
    Thank you for a great summery of information that you have gathered on your sight, I am really happy to have found this sight.
    May question is regarding the in-force NIE number (less than 3 months), as I understand, I can no longer just go to the police department and have to book a time in advance. Do yo have any link to where I can book a visit to get the in-force NIE number?

  17. Aigar says

    Hi, for renewing the nie, do i have to have working contract longer than 3 months? I got my 3 months nie with temporary contract and it will end at the end of this month.

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi there,

      My guess is that it should be longer than 3 months, but the best way to find out and make 100% sure is at your relevant foreign affairs office in Spain.


  18. Castellanos N. says

    Hola David,
    Me mudo a Barcelona por trabajo. Me han contratado sin NIE y ahora cuando regrese a la ciudad, tengo que obtenerlo pero todavia no tengo piso alquilado. Mi dirección official es de Hungría. Crees que lo podría obtener sin dirección registrada de España?

    Gracias por tu ayuda de antemano!

    • David Ruiz says

      Hola Castellanos,

      Personalmente no sé cómo se puede hacer sin tener dirección en España, pero si te parece puedes enviarme un email y hablo con mi equipo de asesores para ver cómo podrían ayudarte.


  19. Ambah says

    Hi David, thank you for this helpful post! My question is regarding the 2 photos that you have to take of yourself, why do these have to be taken specifically in Spain? If it a passport style photo how will they know where it was taken?

    Thanks very much!

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi there Ambah,

      Good question. I usually say: “taken is Spain” because the size of the photo (and the distance where’s taken from) is different in some countries. In reality, the photo can be from anywhere, as long as it’s got the usual Spanish size (32 millimetres height and 26 millimetres width), and similar distance as the Spanish ID photo I got on this article.


  20. Edward lilley says

    I need to renew my nie document as the Lawyer said he can’t find the original, Ive bought 3 properties with them, one I have now was last November, I went to purchase a scooter and the gestoria wanted the document, I’ve had the same number 15 years and I’m annoyed, the lawyer want €150 to get a duplicate, I’d live to do it myself, step by step guide? Please!!

  21. Rachel says

    Hi David,
    I received an NIE number on my visa from the embassy in my home country. It says it is only valid for 3 months. They told me I needed to go to the police station within one month of arriving in Spain. I did so and have an appointment scheduled for next week.
    Since technically I already have the number, will I need to bring the application form/bank form/photos, etc? Or will I be okay with just the passport and a copy?
    If I do need the bank form, can you offer any guidance on how to fill it out properly?
    Any tips or help are greatly appreciated. We can’t seem to get through to anyone on the phone and webisite info is confusing.
    We are in the Marbella region if that’s relevant.
    Thanks for your help!!

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Rachel,

      Every police station have different interpretations when it comes to this procedure, so my suggestion is to find out at the relevant one in Marbella area, to start with.

      I hope this helps!

  22. Jerelyn says

    Hi David,
    I am an Italian citizen and moved to Spain for my husband’s job. I don’t have a job yet. I have read a few places and also been adviced by my husband’s work place that I cannot apply for a NIE card as I do not have a job. Do you have some advise on this. I don’t want to go against the law by not registering because I’ve been informed that I cannot do so.
    (P.S. – my husband has a NIE number, A4 size white sheet and he has been told that is the sheet and is lifetime valid)

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Jerelyn,

      The NIE number here would not be important unless you need to do any procedure of a legal nature (buy/sell property, getting hired, etc). If you live in Spain for more than 3 months then you should apply for your Spanish residency card.

      I hope this helps :-)


  23. Jules says

    Hi David,

    Thank you for your wonderful post and I am sure it is a help for any foreigner living in Spain.

    My story is the following:
    I recently graduated and for an unknown period of time I will live with my parents who reside in Spain.
    Since I don’t have my drivers license yet, I would like to get mine here in Spain. To be able to apply for the drivers license you need a NIE number. However, is applying for a drivers license reason enough for the Spanish authorities to grant you a NIE?

    All the best,


    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Jules,

      To apply for a driving licence you will have to have Spanish residency. Unfortunately, applying for the driving licence would not be a reason to obtain the Spanish residency card without going through the official requirements.

      I hope this helps.

  24. Adrian says

    Hi David I’ve lived in Spain since Nov 2016 I have NIE and a residencia card my question is I’ve just moved from one town to another do I need to register on the padron in my new town, and how long before I can apply for permenant residency
    Any advice much appreciated

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Adrian,

      The permanent residency status can be obtained after 5 years having Spanish residency. You will have to reapply for it. The status does not happen automatically.

      I hope this helps!

  25. Tony Baines says

    Hi David,

    I’ve been trying to get an appointment in Murcia for my NIE for a week, but there are no appointments available. I’ve just travelled to Mar Menor for a few days break from the City and accessed the government portal again and it offered me the possibility of an appointment in Cartagena (I guess there is tracking on my IP address).
    My question is, can I take the appointment in Cartagena to register for an NIE, even if I have an address in Murcia? I mean I guess it’s the same region in Spain, just another city there. Would make my life easier if I can do this, especially with Brexit fast approaching :)

    Kind Regards


    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Tony,

      There should not be any problem to apply within the entire region.

      I hope this helps!

  26. Christine says

    I retired to Spain 06 march 2019 and obtained my NIE number and residency card in Madrid I have now moved to Guardamar Del Segura. I have registered on the padron at the town hall and now need to know how to change the address on my residency card. Any help would be appreciated

    • David Ruiz says

      Hi Christine,

      Changing the address will require a new application. The only difference is that, to cover the healthcare requirement, you can obtain a certificate from the Social Security office, as long as everything is registered there properly.

      I hope this helps :-)

  27. Zach says


    I am an expat from the USA living in Barcelona. My daughter is 11 months old now and I have been unable to book an appointment to even present the documents for her NIE. Her mom and I are both USA citizens and she has her American passport, Spanish birth certificate, and Libro de Familia, but we cannot get her NIE. How does one do this for a child born in Spain to both foreign parents? We are wanting to go back to the USA to visit but are fearful that we won’t be allowed reentry because she has no visa in her passport and no residency card with her NIE.